When I was asked months ago, to write for Yeni Sayfa I have been thinking of something inspirational for both our students and colleagues ever since. I couldn’t think of anything better other than talking about two dear friends of mine… So I erased my previous piece of work and replaced it with this: Hoping that it will touch your lives like they have touched mine…
For several years, Amal Abdullah and Hülya Çelikel brought joy and sweetness to those in BAU with their wisdom and graceful beings throughout their long but short journeys which unfortunately ended a short while ago. The truth is that we don’t know what is going to happen tomorrow. Life is a crazy ride, and nothing is guaranteed. Family members often take steps after a passing to ensure their loved one’s final wishes are carried out. Well, since we are a whole big family here at BAU, I felt the need to honour these spectacular and sensational ladies’ presences.
Therefore, I would like to dedicate this piece of writing to my former colleagues and irreplaceable friends who have touched hundreds and thousands of lives. It is somewhat consoling to say that sometimes beauty, hope and inspiration can grow from grief. I consider myself extremely lucky to have worked with so many great people in my lifetime. However, Amal and Hülya Hocam were one of a kind who made me feel that the greatest gift of life is friendship and I’m proud to say that I have received it. So why do we wait till it’s too late? When there is so much unsaid, why all the anger, hatred and goodbyes when there can be so many hi’s? Why is it so hard to express your love and feelings although you know this makes the world revolve? We don’t get any younger and there should be no room for regret in our lives since life is too short to be anything but happy. I have always been a great fan of the movie “Dead Poets Society” and have cherished the words of Robin Williams (Mr. Keating) “Carpe Diem” meaning “seize the day”. It is as I grew older that I have valued these words. Therefore, here are the mottos that I live by which I believe will guide you and make you stop to take a look at your life throughout your journey.
“Stay close to people who feel like sunlight.”
- Be somebody who makes everybody feel like a somebody.
- Fall in love with as many things as possible.
- Never give up!
- Enjoy every moment you have, because in life, there are no rewinds, only flashbacks.
- Life is too short to wake up with regrets so love the people who treat you right and forget about the ones who don’t believe in you.
- Everything happens for a reason so let it be.
- Don’t spend time with people who suck the happiness out of you. No time for bad vibes.
- It’s OK to be weird. Who said normal is ok anyway. 😉
- Stay close to people who feel like sunlight.
- Don’t stop until you’re proud.
- I can and I will. Watch me!
- You can. End of story.
- Stand out from the crowd. Don’t be the same. Be better.
- Start somewhere.
- Don’t use the word ‘hate’
- Kill them with kindness.
- Be picky with your clothes, friends and time.
- Be happy, be bright, be positive, be you. – What is done in love is done well.
- Compliment people. Magnify their strengths, not their weaknesses.
I hope I will be so lucky to live a life as fulfilling as Amal Abdullah and Hülya Çelikel as I will be the happiest person on earth if I manage to do so. I hope you can fill in the blanks of your lives with these meaningful words.
May you beautiful ladies rest in peace. Until we meet again… My mentor and my Audrey Hepburn, farewell for now…